Monday 1 November 2010

The sanctity of an individual's private beliefs should be respected.

It's World Vegan Day!

If you're vegan, then you're probably well-versed in the ways that others might challenge your decision. If you aren't and are thinking about maybe making that transition, what have you got to lose? (Hint: not that much, really!)

Food-wise, today hasn't been especially different for me. I started the day with a (large) cup of fresh coffee, made with soya milk. Soya has a tendency to curdle in coffee, but there are a few brands available that are non-curdle. Because I was feeling a little lazy, I had a Nakd apple tart bar as a mid-morning snack. I don't eat much in the mornings, even though I know it's not the healthiest way to be. I'm vegan, not a saint! Lunch was lentil and apricot soup, with a small helping of roasted beetroot and squash salad, with a can of Whole Earth sparkling Elderflower. There was a second cup of coffee a little while ago, with some Sesame Snaps, just to ensure that I get through the rest of the afternoon and home again, without feeling the need to snack.

Dinner will be a tofu sandwich. The person who gave me that final push to veganism showed me how to make this, and it is as simple and easy as falling off a log, yet much more satisfying.

You will need: firm tofu, about half an avocado, two slices of bread, egg-free mayo, wholegrain mustard, whatever seasoning you like on your tofu.
  • Cut the tofu so you have a thick slice. Given the usual size of blocks of tofu, your slice will be neatly sandwich-sized!
  • Season the tofu, then grill or fry it, depending on how healthy you're feeling. The George Forman grill I bought years ago, and never used, turned out to be perfect for grilling tofu quickly.
  • While the tofu is cooking, toast your bread, but only on one side, my dear.
  • When the bread is toasted, spread a thin layer of  mayo on on untoasted side, and the wholegrain mustard on the other.
  • Your tofu should be ready, so transfer it to one of the waiting slices of bread. Add the avocado, and then salt and pepper to taste.
  • Close the sandwich.
  • Eat. And enjoy!
I'm far from the world's greatest cook, vegan or otherwise, but there's few things better than a nice tofu sandwich. If you want something perhaps more adventurous, try the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.

Gosh, I've made myself really quite hungry now...

No comments:

Post a Comment